If you’ve been involved in a motor vehicle accident and are injured, the first thing to do is to take care of your injuries and call for help.
As soon as you can, here are 10 important steps to take.
1. Immediately notify the police and call for an ambulance if anyone is injured
Often the 911 operators will call an ambulance for you.
2. Make notes about what happened, gather contact information from othe people at the scene, ask others what they saw and write it down, and take photos if possible.
3. Don’t admit to any fault
Don’t discuss things at all with anyone beyond obtaining their contact information. Especially don’t agree that you were to blame, or volunteer any concessions.
4. Don’t accept any money
5. Cooperate with police, medical personnel and insurance people.
6. Obtain the names and badge numbers of any emergency personnel.
7. Have the insurance company inspect damage before any repairs are started
8. If you think that drugs or alcohol were part of it, insist on breath tests.
9. Get copies of any police reports. If you hire a lawyer, he or she will do this for you.
10. Hire a good personal injury attorney
Don’t hire the first one you come across. Ask around, then set up interviews with the ones that seemed best to you.
Â· Have questions ready.
Â· If the answers are not clear, ask more questions until you understand clearly.
Â· If the attorney doesn’t seem to have time to answer you clearly, move on
Â· Choose an attorney who has plenty of experience with the type of accident you’ve been involved in.